Monday, September 13, 2010

Coming Of Age

Coming of age is a young person's transition from childhood to adulthood.
My dad and I got the word today that our old house was being torn down to make way for the widening of the highway that runs in front of it.  We both wanted to see it one last time.
The emotions were very intense and bittersweet.  
The demolition team was already there.  Apparently they had been working there for a couple of days.  Part of the house had already been demolished.  All that was left on that end was the brick fireplace.  As I made my way around to the back of the house my mind was flooded with memories.  Some good, some bad.
I stepped up onto what used to be the back porch.  It was covered waist high with debris. Boards, kitchen cabinets, old carpet and there in the middle was the lilac sink from my bathroom.
As a young teenager I would sit on the bathroom counter with my feet in that sink and put on my makeup. 
Then I turned and carefully stepped over a door and I was in the kitchen.  Everything had been removed. It was just a shell of room but I could still see my mother standing there making biscuits and chocolate cake.  She was the best cook ever.  She passed away a little over a year ago and I miss her.
They had removed all the sheet rock and insulation from the walls and ceiling so you could stand in one spot and see the entire house from one end to the other, from top to bottom. It looked so small.
I pictured how the dinning room used to look.  I saw my nephew as a toddler chasing our little dog Charlie around the table.  My nephew is now forty-two and Charlie is buried in the back yard.
I walk in the living room and I see my Grandfather.  A little green ceramic frog under the chair where he is sitting by the front door.
Down the hall is my brothers bedroom and then mine.  
My room.  The room where I played.  The room where I would hang out with my friends when they  came over.  The room where I lay my head at night and slept knowing I was safe because my daddy was in the next room.  
Across the hall is my mom and dad's room.  Bed always made.  No clothes on the floor or thrown over a chair. Everything in place.
I go back outside and I look at the flowers my mom planted,  The lillies, the roses and others I couldn't remember the name of.  Still alive after all these years.  There are the grapevines my dad planted and cared for.  With all my memories and emotions I didn't think to walk down and pick grapes. I will never get that chance again.  
I see my children here.  How they loved their grandma and papa.
This is the home I shared with my mother, father, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and children.
This is the house where I went from a child to an adult.  My coming of age.


Five Things:
1.  I don't like being the center of attention
2.  I'm hooked on Zaxby's chicken fingers
3.  I have a scar under my left eyebrow
4.  I wish I had started doing daily bible reading years ago
5.  I can't whistle 

5 comments:

  1. No more reading your blog in the library. I don't think the people around me could stand another emotional breakdown while they are trying to study. :( A very beautifully written blog post, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sure glad I didn't open that at the Fire House snot bubbles everywhere. It did take me back to alot of memories, especially the choclate cake and the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You (and the guys at the Fire House) are lucky, the library got plenty good looks at my snot bubbles. I can see Grandma there too, making biscuits, or the chocolate cake, like you say, under that silver looking cake cover her cakes were always in...mmm and the orange cake! Papa in his shop building things. Fishing in the pond. Getting shot in the knee by Jimmy with the BB gun, then him running me into the blue room and hiding me behind the bed so Grandma wouldn't find out. The smell of the fire at and sitting together in the living room at Christmas. It's always so hard to let go of something that made you feel so warm, happy, safe, taken care of and just plain deep down joyful and content. It probably wouldn't hurt as much if Grandma were still here. I miss her so much, it still hurts every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful...not all of the snot bubbles. But, Grandma and Papa's house was a home-away-from-home for me while Jimmy and I were dating. We'd drive from Macon to Vidalia for the weekend...sit at the bar with Grandma and Papa (you know, the one in their kitchen :), drink SWEET sweet tea and enjoy a slower pace of life. I felt instantly at home and welcomed into a family full of love and laughter...except when Jimmy and Holly were plotting against me or engaged in some intense competition in the backyard....Then, I'd retreat to the kitchen where it was safe with Grandma. I was always so full when we headed back to Macon...full of biscuits and love. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Variety is the spice of life? No. I think that is a misquote. I think the original is "Variety (in weird and random acts of competition) is the spice of life." :p

    ReplyDelete