Saturday, June 5, 2010

I've always been a very quite, reserved person, never wanting to draw attention to myself.  But lately I've been thinking a lot about how freeing it would be to just let go.  To laugh out loud, to let my hair grow long even though it's gray.  To put on a bathing suit and go to the beach and not care if I have cellulite and a tummy.
Why is it so hard for women to let go of their youth.  I guess in this society we are told from the time we are born how pretty we are and you learn quickly the cuter you are the more attention you get.  As we age we work hard at staying that way.  We spend fortunes and hours and hours on our hair and makeup.  We cringe if we gain a pound.  An approving look from a man or even another woman makes you feel good about yourself.  As you get older those approving looks get fewer and far apart yet you still crave that feeling.

1 comment:

  1. It is really hard for girls in our society. What I want most for my daughters (if I am lucky enough to have any) is to be able to give them what my mom gave me: confidence in being themselves. Because I had confidence in myself, I never lived to please the boys and later men. I was able to be me, because I liked me and knew I was a worthy person, just as I am. That is the one thing I am most thankful for from my family. I was never told I couldn't do something. Instead of pessimism they gave me optimism and encouragement, love and support, and it is because of these things that I have been able to accomplish all that I've set out to do, regardless of my gender, and reach my dreams.

    ReplyDelete